Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Effective Management Techniques

 
 

Sent to you by Umesh via Google Reader:

 
 

Effective Management Techniques

via Sramana Mitra on Strategy by Sramana Mitra on Jun 17, 2007

You have read Dominique' article, Top Ten, on an effective management technique from the Steve Jobs school.

Do you have such well-honed and highly effective management techniques that you would like to share?

Here are a couple I received from the network:

Bruce Everiss: MBWA. Management By Walking About. Just regularly walking round the company/department chatting to people. You have your finger on the pulse, everyone knows who you are and you learn loads from impromptu discussions with staff at all levels. It was part of the HP way practiced by Bill Hewlett and Bill Packard and gets promoted in the book "A Passion For Excellence" by Tom Peters.

Ian Davis: I discovered a technique that creates incentive, builds allegiance and reduces churn rate all at the same time. I have used for years in every management role I've had since 1992. I call it "The Roadmap To Accomplishment".

What I do, is I sit down with my direct reports and help them define "where they want to be" professionally, in 18 months. For one person, it might be a management position, for someone else it might be a position in another department or even another company. For others, it could be to achieve a higher level of performance at what they currently do.

After, we define the 18 month objective, we agree upon quarterly goals designed to get him or her where he or she wants to be. I require my subordinate managers to do the same with their people. Whoever reaches their quarterly goal gets a reward, usually time off or a dinner for two at a nice restaurant. The reward gets bigger each time for those who consistently meet their quarterly goals more than twice in a row. Although everyone's goals and objectives are kept confidential, I do track each person's progress on a large grease board for everyone to see. I also send out annoucements praising those who hit their goals.

I found this to be an excellent team building tool. Besides helping people achieve a major objective, it has resulted in long term friendships and ongoing professional relationships that continue today.

Please contribute yours below.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: